10 things that have helped me plan better (and might help you too)

 
 
I probably shouldn’t admit it, but being organised, getting things done and sorting stuff out doesn't come naturally to me. I know some people live for this stuff, but I’ve always found it kind of stressful. 

Up until my son was born I’d always just sort of winged it when it came to planning.  I was very much an, ‘as and when I remember kind of gal’.  And up until he came along, I could get away with it. 

Pre-partum, my day was planned out for me. I had a 9-5, so I was out of the house for a certain amount of hours, then I had to come back and cook. I’d spot clean during the week and thoroughly clean on the weekends. Done and dusted.

But after becoming a stay at home parent, any semblence of a routine went out of the window. His routine was constantly changing, so I was keeping weird hours too. Without some sort of plan, however casual,  I’d easily fall behind and couldn’t catch up. 

The absence of an outline to my day and week elevated my stress levels. I felt constantly on edge because I was reacting to things, unsure of what to do next. 

There was no natural structure to my day, so my go with the flow approach meant it was difficult to plan anything. Each day would end with a sense of deep overwhelm and building anxiety that I had done nothing. 

As I realised I needed some sort of outline for the day and the week, for my own sanity, I slowly started to claw back control of my time. 

And it’s not as if I had an epiphany. It’s been a gradual process, involving trial and error to get to some gentle structure in place. Although there is plenty of room for improvement, I don't (always) end each day disappointed. 

Here are some key things that have helped me plan my week better and actually cross stuff off my to do list. 

1. Highlight things that are non negotiable and put them in first
This can be quite a lengthy process
 
I had to be willing to be totally honest with myself about what I MUST do as opposed to what I would LIKE to do
 
2. Learning to let things go
This one’s tough, but essential in order to do number one.
 
At one point I was trying to schedule time for a copywriting course, a TEFL course, an Arabic course and two Islamic studies courses. 

I wanted to be able to do all of them. But every week I was missing classes, not keeping up with reading and missing deadlines. 

I realised by keeping all of them on the go I was not going to get anywhere with any of them. So, I had to be really honest about which one would be most beneficial to me and focus on that. The others would have to wait. 

3. Look for opportunities to piggy back where it makes sense
 For example, if I had to empty the bins out, I would take the opportunity to disinfect the refuse area. If I had to clean out the cupboards or fridge, I would make a note of what was missing and add it to the grocery list.

4. Timing’s  important 
This kind of ties in with piggybacking.

 For example,  I know I need to do my weekly shop on a Thursday. 
 
So, I need to do my shopping list before that. 
 
In order for me to do my shopping list I need to know what’s missing from my fridge and my cupboards. 
 
So, when I’m cleaning my fridge and cupboards, I’ll make a note on my phone when I noticed something needs replacing. 
 
So, my fridge and cupboards need to be tidied before Thursday.  
 
Capishe?

5. Do one big thing a day
 I can never tackle the kitchen in one day and that’s something I realised through trial and error.  I have to break it up. 

So, inside of cupboards one day, fridge one day, appliances another and wipe down surfaces and cabinets every day.

 I know that if I tried to do everything in one go it wont happen, as I won’t have the block of time. If by some miracle I do, I would be so knackered for the next few days I wouldn’t be able to get anything else done. 

6. Resist the temptation to do TOO much more than on my list
I sound like such a slacker don’t I? Hear me out...

This is kind of related to the above point. From my experience, if I’ve tried to take advantage of a surge in energy by decluttering and reorganising my entire house, I’m usually wiped out for the rest of the week. And there will be stuff on my list, not house related, that will not get done because I won’t have the energy to do it. 

It’s not as if I don’t do anything more than what I’ve planned for. As and when things crop up, if they don't take more than 5-10 minutes, I will do them, but if they will take much longer, I try to put them on a list to schedule for another time. 

7. Write things down
I don’t rely in my mental prowess to remember stuff because I know I will be let down. 
 
So, I write as much as I can down in my notes on my phone as soon as I remember. Then on Sunday when I sit down, I will take a look at my notes on my phone and see what I can fit in. 

8. Set reminders
Again, this is because I don’t trust my memory! Phone prompts act as a safety net in case I haven’t looked at my plan in a while. 

9. Keep it visible
Ever heard of the saying out of sight, out of mind?

 Well, if I dont have my list somewhere visible,  I will often forget most of what is on there and go back to my reactive rather than proactive state. 

Keeping it somewhere, I often pass or where I spend most of the day, ensures it will catch my attention now and then and keep me focused on the priority for the day. 

The thing is, I want to set myself up for success. 
 
10. don't underestimate the power of a good nights sleep 
I'm a baaad sleeper. Partly because I drink too  much coffee and also because I tend to rely on a couple of hours browsing online to wind down before bed. Not a very sleep hygenic combination.

I have realised that if I'm tired, no amount of good planning in the world is going to be able to allow me to get things done if I'm not sleeping right. And that goes for eating right too.

What I've realised...
 
I want to set myself up for success. By being unrealistic and slap dash, I'm not doing myself any favours.

If I'm overloading myself with unrealistic aspirations that require energy levels I can't muster right now, all the pretty planners and colourful pens in the world aren't going to help me.

What I've learned so far is being REALISTIC and STRATEGIC are the biggest weapons in my organisational arsenal. 
 
I need to take a holistic approach to being organised by ensuring I'm getting enough sleep and my diet supports good energy levels so I can get stuff done! 

Do you struggle to plan? How have you been helping yourself? I'd love to hear your suggestions. 

Take care and be kind to yourself and others. xoxo




Comments

Popular Posts