So, I bought some stuff...

 

Hello everyone!

I wrote a post earlier this week explaining I was in the market for a new wardrobe, but I didn't know what to buy. 

I shared some of the online resources I used to help me get inspired and concluded that I gravitate towards minimal, functional but chic fashion. I like the clean, unfussy look, the soft and luxurious fabrics and the functionality. 

I should probably mention that I wear an abaya (long, loose fitted, full sleeved dress) and hijab (headscarf) when I am out of the house, but when I am at home I would like to wear clothes that are comfortable and practical, but look nice too. 

This is the main reason why I decided to invest in some basics and elevated essentials that will hopefully, look good and last. 

My thinking is that if I have nice clothes to wear at home, I will be more motivated to change out of my abaya when I'm back indoors. It's tempting to just stay in it all day.

I found this infographic from The Capusle Project and found it a useful place to start to build a base for a minimalist wardrobe. It enabled me and identify gaps in my wardrobe too.

So what did I buy?

Here we go...

UNIQLO BASICS

My sister recommended I try basics from Uniqlo, commending their quality cotton pieces and affordability. 

I usually buy basics from H&M, but have noticed they get worn out much quicker than they used to. I don't know if it's a drop in manufacturing standards or maybe I'm just washing them more, but I gave Uniqlo/

I saw these waffle style tops and decided to buy some in some neutral colourways. The grey one is a t-shrt and the cream one is a dress. 

                                        Waffle key neck dress, £14.90, Uniqlo

                                         Waffle crew neck t-shirt, Uniqlo, £12.90

They are thin enough for layering and thick enough to be worn alone which is good because although the weather is starting to turn in London, it's still too warm for knitwear. 

I have the additional issue of having eczema on my arms, so wool is not my friend. That's actually why my sister recommended Uniqlo, as she has suffered from eczema too and bought some cotton rich clothing from here to help. I actually saw the dress on her, loved it and went and bought the same one for myself ;))

I think these are a great option if you are looking for a lighter, more skin friendly alternative to knitwear. 


DENIM FROM GAP 


My previous jeans from Gap are hanging in my cupboard but haven't been worn in the last three years. I love them so much but, sadly, they don't fit any more.

I thought it was time to accept I wansn't going to fit in them and go ahead and buy jeans in a bigger size. So, I bought exactly the same ones, one size up. 

 

Mid Rise Straight Leg Jeans, Dark Indigo, £49.95, Gap

The Gap website often has good discounts on and I got these for 40 per cent off - whoop, whoop!

I love a dark wash jean and opted for a straight leg for comfort and these are soo comfortable. Perfect for running around after a three year old at home and to be worn underneath an abaya.

Inspired by the minimal wardrobe challenge, I decided to buy a denim shirt as well. This is something that I have never thought to buy, but I think it is a great option for an autumn/winter, minimal wardrobe. The shirt itself is lightweight and a relaxed fit, but it has a nice shape and is longer at the back.  

 

Denim Perfect Shirt, Light Indigo, £39.95, Gap


 I like the way it looks layered over the Uniqlo waffle tee.

BRETON WITH A TWIST

Another must have for the minimalist wardrobe is a stripey top and I love my stripes. 

All the Breton tops I had seen online seemed quite short and I wanted something with length that could be worn over jeans.

I saw this one in Hush and the jersey is really good  quality. I love the relaxed fit and slouchy look. I can see myself living in this but I'm going to try not to do that!

 

Wide jersey top, midnight/ecru, £45, Hush

SILK TROUSERS


Ok so I splurged a bit. I know I said I was sick of loungewear but that didn't include luxe loungewear like silk trousers or cashmere joggers :). 

The problem with cashmere is that I worry about it's suitability for me due to my irritated skin (I have eczema on legs too).

I have some black jersey wide leg pants from H&M taht have been worn to death, but they are prone to bobbling.

H&M give 25% off one item for members during their birthday month and since I qualified this month, I decided to treat myself to a pair.

They are usually £79.99 but with the discount they worked out about £50 so a good price for silk trousers.

That’s cheaper than I would be able to get them other places so I decided to take the plunge.

I'm really glad I did. They are they are so comfortable, soft against the skin, lightweight but luxurious. A great essential that will hopefully last me a while.

Side note - It’s really worth becoming a member of H&M. It’s free to join - you can sign up online - and you get free online delivery, members only prices, points per spend, discounts and the birthday discount too. I think that's well worth it!

                                                          Black silk trousers, £79.99, H&M

 

 

 

AUTUMNAL ABAYAS

 

At the moment, I cook, clean and even sleep (only sometimes...) in my abaya, so you can imagine they are in quite a state.  

As well as needing new abayas, I also wanted to get some different colours for the Autumn. 

I have been eyeing this mauve drawstring up one for ages. The colour is darker then the website picture but I quite liked that. The material is so silky and I love the slight cinching by the drawstring at the waist. 

                                         Mauve draw string abaya, Arabesque elegance, £35

 

 

 

 I picked this grey ruffle knit coat in the summer sale at Zara. It's more like a coatigan actually, so a nice transitional piece for the in-betweeny weather we have started to have here in London. 

Ink Check Shirt Dress, Inayah, £59.99

This is from Inayah, it’s quite a thick material so I will save this for when the weather properly turns. But I love it! 

I was looking for a maxi denim dress over the summer, but I didn't manage to find one. Although this isn't denim, the material has a similar feel and together with the inkey blue colour gives the dress a denim effect. 


 

 Again, loving the drawstring detail at the waist as well as the check pattern.

Black Crepe Shirt Dress, Abayas Boutique, £55


 

This is a lovely material (cotton crepe) and shape. I love the button detailing but the buttons are really tight and tricky to open and close. I’m hoping it’s just because it’s new and after a little bit of use they will relax. Here’s hoping!

 The beige waterfall jacket was an Eid gift from my sister in law. It's kind of a faux suede material and again from Zara. I tcouldn't see it online, but they have something similar in their new collection.

 THAT'S ALL FOLKS

So, that's it!

I'm aware my choices might seem boring, but I feel like I had to get down to basics with my wardrobe as it needed an overhaul. 

I'm glad I spent some time thinking about the types of style, colours and cuts that might suit me as I definatley feel like I different person than I was a few years ago. 

Maybe it was motherhood, that did it or maybe it's because I'm now officially in my mid-30's (gulp). I wanted my clothes to reflect that as well as be fit for purpose for the new-ish me!



 

Comments

  1. Brilliant post and absolutely love all the things you have bought. 👌🏻👌🏻

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts