Anzac biscuits - How have I not made these before?


Oat cookies
Recently, my sister sent me a recipe for Anzac biscuits to try out. She had made them for a school bake sale and was raving about how yummy and chewy they were. 

I knew they were something to do with Australian and New Zealand war veterans, but didn’t know anything about what the actual biscuit tasted, or even looked, like.  I had no clue, they were delicious, morsels of oaty coconutiness that had been missing from my life. 

They are so very simple to make both in terms of ingredients and the method. They just require combining wet and dry store cupboard ingredients and placing spoonfuls onto a baking tray. This recipe does not even require eggs.

Because of the simplicity of the recipe, my sister suggested I get my toddler involved. He has been quite interested in ‘transferring’ water from his sippy cup onto the floor, onto the sofa, onto me. So, I thought it might be good for him to utilise his new found interest for something productive.

I weighed out all the dry ingredients in little bowls and he happily dumped each one into the mixing bowl. I poured in the wet ingredients and he enthusiastically mixed away. 

Older children could probably get involved in putting spoonfuls of the mixture on the tray, but my little one doesn’t have the motor skills for that yet. He was trying to copy me when I was shaping the biscuits by taking fistfuls of the mixture and plopping it onto the tray. Bless.

I’m not sure if my mixture was on the dry side, as I had to shape the spoonfuls by hand, press down and then place on the tray. They would not have held their shape otherwise. But it didn’t affect the taste or look of the final product. 

They are super-fast to make with one batch (this recipe makes two) taking 8 minutes in my oven. Take them out when golden even if they look soft as they firm up once they cool down. But they are meant to be chewy.

I think these oat cookies would be fantastically versatile and I have been thinking of variations of dried fruit, chocolate chips and nuts that can be mixed in. 

It’s so nice to find and share recipes that are quick, easy, inexpensive to make and taste delicious too.

Try this one. Honestly, it’s the perfect oat cookie.

Comments

Popular Posts